After creating the small maquette of a doll i decided to take a mold of the face using Dragon Skin FX pro along with a plaster backing.


After this I decided to pour clear resin and dye it with some pigments. This did not work as planned because the pigments did not dissolve and remained in clumps. These clumps sank to the bottom and created holes in the resin after it cured. the result actually came quite gruesome looking!


Still hopeful, I poured a second batch of resin, this time without any pigments and it worked!


I absolutely love the transparent effect of the resin, it worked so well. It still needs to be buffed to get that glass look, but other than that, I am super happy with it.


For my dissertation I am focusing on the uncanny and how it applies to sculpture, if it even can. Therefore I have been looking into the creation of ball joint dolls, and how to manipulate them in such a way so that the viewer will experience feelings of discomfort or even fear. The main focus of the sculpture for my dissertation will be the face, which will be most expressive area. This image shows my maquette made out of white clay in its early stages, pre firing. This maquette will later be recreated life size for greater impact.


Since I usually sculpt objects on a larger scale, sculpting an object on a small scale can be very tedious, more than I expected. Regardless of this, it was a highly enjoyable process and will definitely be at it again shortly!


Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑